Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thank You Nora Ephron, You Made Me Smile

I still cannot believe Nora Ephron is no longer with us. She passed away quietly. This past week her loved ones and those closest to her celebrated her life in Nora Ephron fashion...Each attendee received recipes of Nora's. That's right, her own cooking recipes. She must have planned it all, because it couldn't have come from anyone but Nora herself...She still made everyone smile, even on this day.

Nora was a great writer, screenplay writer, director, producer and cook. One of the first movies I remember most was "When Harry Met Sally." I love that movie, and still tune into it anytime I see it playing on my own television set. Such great messages of life, love, and relationships with her own sweet humor added into the perfect mix.

Another one of my favorite movies was "Julie and Julia," the wonderful movie based on Julia Child's rise to fame, and one young cook's desire to be the kind of chef/cook Julia came to be. Perfect casting with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams starring as Julia and Julie. Nora both wrote and directed this delicious film.

"You've Got Mail," and "Sleepless in Seattle" were two additional great movies that Nora both directed and wrote the screenplays for. Again so tastefully written with love being at the core of her themes. Nora's humor was so brilliantly included, as well.

When I went through my own painful divorce, I found that movies like Nora's lifted my spirits, taking me away to happier places while reminding me that there can be love again. I still believe that, and I will always be grateful to screenplay writers and directors like Nora who made me smile through the storm. 

I always said if I was ever going to make a movie, I would want Nora Ephron to be the one directing it. I guess I will have to go on dreaming, because it will not become a reality in this life. Rest in Peace, Nora Ephron. You will be sorely missed; you already are by many.

Here is a short article from Huffington Post about Nora's services, including her sweet sense of humor.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/liz-smith/nora-ephron-celebrated-with-love_b_1663289.html.

Thank you for the memories, Nora Ephron, and for your work. It will all live on and on and we will smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment